Always strive to remember that there is neither one thing practical, nor wise, about any state-of-self that punishes you; even when, as in the case of anxiety, it sweetly promises to release you once you've done its bidding. So, regardless of circumstance, know that the following is true: All anxious emotional states are secretly against what are your own True best interests. This means more than may be considered at first glance.
Pernicious and pressurized feelings not only compromise your physical health and happiness, but in your unconscious cooperation with their torment and tyranny, these anxious feelings also steal from you what is your God-given inner-potential to be a Real individual possessed with Real will.
All self-compromising inner-pressure has its unconscious cause hidden deeply in the secret chambers of our own thought-nature, which we continue to mistake ourselves for. The proof of this finding comes with seeing that anxiety is a latent psychic force within us: it pops out, and upon us, any time some exterior condition permits its painful appearance.
It's possible to learn how to use this same latent inner-tendency—that now serves to punish you—to not only put anxiety out of business forever, but to help you develop Real will and individuality.
Allow the following 5 practices to show you how to start reclaiming your own life. Work diligently with them. Use them until they reveal to you how to stop being used.
1. Whenever you're in a rush to get anywhere, deliberately drive 5 miles an hour slower than the legal speed limit. (Apply this principle to walking, or talking, as well.)
2. Wait until a natural pause comes into your conversation with others before inserting that pressing point you've been holding your breath to make.
3. If there's a task-at-hand that normally would take you 2 or 3 steps to complete, as in taking-in the grocery bags 2 at a time from the car to the kitchen, intentionally take in only one bag at a time.
4. When beginning to feel yourself late for some engagement, catch yourself about to hurry someone else along who's going there with you, and consciously refuse to do it.
5. With the exception of accidental or rude behavior on your part—or—if asked by your employer, refuse to excuse or explain yourself to any one—for any thing—about yourself.
Remember: the purpose of this specialized and personal inner work is to help you find those places within you where pressurized feelings are trying to squeeze you into their shape and into serving their world. There are dozens of inner opportunities daily where you can start to catch and cancel the painful effects of these latent psychic forces. Your conscious participation in inner exercises such as these, and those you help to create yourself, is the only way to awaken the will you need so that one day you never have to answer to any anxiety again!